Monday, February 09, 2009

Hair and Makeup DIY

I had always intended to do my own makeup and, through my own (gasp!) bad project management in failing to properly secure my fantastic hairstylist for the wedding, also ended up doing my own hair. So a couple of weeks before the wedding, I did a test run.

The photos below are from before my stylist gave me a lesson in how to do the tiara myself, but you'll see those results soon enough. This test showed me that the lip color I'd chosen was awful and that I really needed to be shown how to do my hair, because otherwise, my tiara would no doubt fall from atop my head in a fit of wild failing (aka: dancing), and be crushed underfoot by many happy guests. I will intersperse quick reviews of the products I used as we progress through the evening. I apologize for being less than entirely empirical by taking this series of photos under varying lighting conditions. Just use your imagination.

3pm, 3:15, and 4

Foundation: Revlon Colorstay mineral foundation ~$14: Love this stuff. Have found new uses for it since the wedding, and would have used it more extensively then if I had known. I may stockpile this on the off-chance that they discontinue it. Long-lasting, light-wearing, looks awesome.
Concealer: Revlon Colorstay Under-Eye concealer ~$7: Big thumbs down. Found it difficult to apply, not great coverage, definitely settles into creases. Reverted to my Mac concealer for the wedding.
Blush: Neutrogena mineral sheer $?: Don't remember what I paid for this stuff, but it's the kind that dispenses through the brush. I really like the color, feel, and application of this, but I don't usually find it to be very long wearing. This is my everyday blush. I wasn't too worried about looking too pale at the wedding, given the circumstances ("blushing bride" blah blah blah) and the aforementioned wild flailing.

7, 9:30

Mascara: Cargo Better-than-waterproof $20: Got this from Sephora after sampling a couple of others. This is a great tubular mascara that actually doesn't wind up with me looking like I've been punched. Seriously, I've tried many "waterproof" mascaras, and someone finally realized that I'm not looking for mascara to stay on when I go swimming, so water really isn't the issue. I guess it's just my skin, or some anti-mascara radiation that my eyes give off. The downside is that it's pricey and rather difficult to apply. I would not put this on without a lash comb handy. Comes off easily, when you want it to. Okay, I'll shut up.
Eyeshadow: Revlon Colorstay 12-hour eyeshadow ~$7 for a palette of 4 colors: Doesn't fool around. Comfy and doesn't settle into creases. A+. This was the first Revlon Colorstay item I bought, and as you can see, I was impressed.
Eyeliner: Physician's Formula Eyebrightener $?: Also don't recall what I paid for this. Nice liquid liner, pretty easy to use, tends to end up beneath my eyes so I skipped it for the wedding.

11pm, and 1am

Lip color: Revlon Colorstay Overtime Sheer lip color ~$7: Yes, more Revlon. Didn't end up using the color shown in photos above (too cool for me), but went with another shade of the same. Warning: this stuff is impossible to get off. Apply with care and conviction. Texture of it can get a little funny if you eat anything oily (say, wedding salmon), but comfortable, ridiculously long-wearing, can apply either lip gloss or chapstick over it. More of an A-.
Nail polish (not shown): Maybelline Express Finish base and top coat $?, Sally Hansen Insta-Dri color in Blazing Blue ~$5: As you can see, time was of the essence, especially since I didn't get to do my nails until the morning of the wedding. The Maybelline is flimsy on its own, but fine when used over another nail enamel. Does dry very quickly, as does the Sally Hansen, which I think actually dries a touch too fast. Difficult to clean up the edges before it dries, and don't even think about painting two nails before going back, at least not with a dark color. Also requires a top coat, or it chips immediately. Weird brush, extra-wide and with a rounded edge since you're meant to do the whole nail with one brush-stroke, but good coverage.

So, where did this leave me?

at 9:30 on our wedding evening, after some dancing, many many tears of joy, and more professional photos than I care to recall, this photo shows that my eyeshadow and company were still going strong. After zero touch ups. Since 3pm. The photo from my post the other day was the last professional photo of me for the night, taken just before 11pm, and I still look like myself. Which is all that I wanted.

No comments: