Monday, September 01, 2008

Project Planning the Wedding

I've recently said that if I were exposed to solar radiation and one of my existing abilities were enhanced into a super-power, I would have amazing spacial perception and be able to judge sizes and distances and to fit most anything into most anything else. What this means in real life is that I love all kinds of puzzles, I'm very visual, and I can pack a car trunk like nobody's business.

Even being able to pack things efficiently has kept my DIY projects from totally taking over the house, but it's really the other two aspects that inform the wedding project plan. For those of you who don't know what I mean by "project plan," a project plan is typically a process document that includes a list of tasks, how long each is expected to take, any dependencies between tasks, what resources (including people) are required for each task to be completed, and budget associated with each.

To be honest, I don't have a project plan for the entire planning process, but I have a few sketched-in plans for specific things. For the invitation assembly process, which is rather involved, I started with an excel sheet listing all the details of each step.


But, as mentioned, I'm a visual person, so I wanted to graphically see how they all fit together (like a puzzle, no?), so the spreadsheet became something more like a project plan.


Now, this isn't a real project plan by any means, as I don't really know who or how many people will be helping make the invitations nor just how long things will take. But I can see from the project plan that there are a few groups of related tasks (which could help me split helpers into teams), there will need to be at least two separate sessions of assembly, and that I have plenty of time in which to address envelopes.

My second plan grew out of the realization that I have only 20 weeks left until the wedding and more than a dozen DIY things to finish up. So the plan is really a to-do list that tells me when I'm supposed to have finished things. None of the tasks are really dependent on each other.


What special tools and processes do you use to keep organized?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mainly using some of the online tools (which, until recently, I refused to touch, but they're getting more stable).

Btw, I did publish an excellent article on project planning: project planning made easy, take a look!