Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The great cake debate

I have been known to over-dramatize, on occasion. In fact, there was no debate whatsoever (at least not yet).

The cake has been left entirely up to me (this takes a brave man, and you'll see why in a moment), since I once mentioned early in our engagement that I'd always dreamed of a multi-leveled, sky-bridged, fully populated wedding cake complete with a flowing fountain of champagne lit by ever-changing colors to keep its inhabitants happily and constantly tipsy. Then I sadly awoke to realize that if I had such a cake, I'd also need a harem of bridesmaids with teased hair wearing teal or fuchsia gowns with poufy shoulders, a big rosette at the dropped waist and matching eye makeup. Or else the little backup singers on the cake wouldn't make any sense.

via FFFFOUND!
By the way, if everyone else on the cake needs stairs, how did the bride and groom get up there?

With a sigh of resignation, I joined the new millennium and decided to forgo a re-enactment of The Wedding Singer. The following were some of the images I found in consideration of my 21st century cake.




First three are from the knot - real weddings, and the fourth and fifth are from Martha Stewart Weddings. Then, from Rebecca Thuss via Martha, I found this:

Only the most lovely cake ever! Beautiful, simple, wintry, and even a tiny bit modern in its high-contrast linear-element sort of way. Unfortunately, the birds would definitely not fit into my wedding, and without them, it might seem a little empty. So the search continued, but with direction, this time. Looking for cakes with modern but twig-like elements led me to the snowman-like cake on red below found on Brides.com. It is primarily exciting due to its chai-flavored filling which I will have to try to make on my own, now. Mmmm.



Then finally an Aussie friend of mine pointed me to this cake on BudgetDreamWeddings.com. It is admittedly not the most glamorous cake ever, and I don't plan to use any acrylic flowers, but the cake-to-twig ratio is good, and it's the perfect opportunity to include these wire and crystal branches from White Aisle, as they finally just came back in stock! I'm also considering using the branches to form a little wicker-withes crown as an abstract topper, or as a wreath on a layer. I'll have to make some mockups...

More on that, when I receive my new crystal branches!

Ever wish for something hopelessly uncool?

No comments: