Sunday, August 03, 2008

This wedding brought to you by...

In my previous post, I refer to my sponsor (dad). He is actually the only contributor to our wedding, aside from fiance and myself, but he doesn't know that, and I don't really plan to enlighten him. He seems to assume that the future in-laws are chipping in, but in the final tally, I think it will come down to 50% us, 50% him. Let me tell you, the "hosting" situation along with our collective seven parental units would have made traditional invitation wording pretty exciting.

There is no sad story that goes along with this, as my dad (and all of our parents, actually) are meddling almost not at all in our plans. The future in-laws have been totally uninvolved, so far, aside from the vague influence by example of having attended fiance's mother's wedding a couple of months ago. Mom wants me to help find her dress, as does stepmom, my sister just wants to help (every time I see her), and dad's requests have been limited solely to guest list.

When I initially asked, his only comment was that it would be nice if I invited my cousins, which I was absolutely going to do anyway. Recently, the requests have gotten slightly bigger, though not insurmountable, and not insistent in any way. I think today is the first time I've had to tell him no...and it's especially difficult because his requests have been so few. I'm sure he won't argue about it, but I still feel bad.

I know that even those who are paying for the wedding entirely on their own sometimes have difficulty denying the suggestions of loved ones, and having those people as your "benefactors" makes the situation that much stickier.

Do you have "sponsors"? How much influence do they have over decisions? How do you handle their requests?

No comments: