Thursday, August 28, 2008

How it all happened: Part 2 - The Shell Game

You might think from my first post on the subject that it was love at first sight and the rest is history. But is it ever really that simple?

Despite having declared my intention to marry Peter, it was early in freshman year and I did in fact still have a boyfriend held-over from my high school theater days. And I was a dutiful and perfectly-behaved girlfriend, and while I didn't eschew the company of other, more proximal men entirely, I did a good job of fending off all serious advances. Term progressed, I got a small role in the fall show, and then the darling boy had the notion to break up with me. On the day of load-in for the show. The day's schedule went something like this: Get up early, create alien device props, be broken up with, go to large college party where I continue to fend off advances but am now just playing coy.

This was about the time that Peter solidified his crush on Kat, my thoroughly crush-worthy roommate. I watched on, bemused, through my only two months of college singledom and a few weeks of back-togetherness with high school bf when it happened. Peter, Kat, and I were all working stage crew for the winter theater production, when Kat officially started dating Jason, devastating Peter and rather ruining his chances of getting her to go to the winter formal with him. I watched his moping for a few days before deciding that my boyfriend wouldn't have any fun at the winter formal anyway, so it was my mission to get Peter to come with me.

He was eventually convinced, a fantastic time was had by all, my fabulous hairstyle was later copied by Peter's evil ex-girlfriend who I first met that night. And our love affair truly began on the dance floor.

Next up: I break up with my boyfriend and Peter and I go for coffee...though neither of us drink coffee.

Ever have a romance begin in an unlikely way?

No comments: